Re: [Xen-devel] libxenstore.so Makefile dependency issue

On Tue, Feb 21, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 19:26 +0000, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > Any idea whats going on here?
>
> It's pretty odd isn't it.
>
> I tried:
>         $ make -C tools/xenstore/ clean
>         $ make -C tools/xenstore/ -j12
> and couldn't reproduce. I see the ln before the link lines, even with
> bigger and smaller -jN.

I use this script 'time bash ../build.sh -d xen tools &> output.txt':

#!/bin/bash
set -x
unset LANG
unset ${!LC_*}
tgt="xen tools"
if test -n "$1"
then
        tgt=$@
fi
if pushd tools/xenstore
then
        make clean
        popd
fi
time XEN_DOMAIN=localhost DISTDIR=/dev/shm/install-${PWD//\//_} make -j 3
${tgt} ; echo $?

It seems to trigger with either 'make -d' or 'make -d xen tools', but
seldom with 'make -d tools'.
It does not trigger with -j 1, but with -j 2 or 3.

> "make -d" will tell you make's thought processes, might give a hint?

Thanks for that hint, I will try to make sense of the (huge) output.

> Could it be your filesystem? Something odd to do with timestamps on
> symlinks which upsets your version of make perhaps? (I'm on ext3)

I'm on ext3.  libxenstore.so is not there, thats the issue.

I wonder why libxenstore.so and libxenstore.a is listed at all in
ALL_TARGETS? Perhaps that confuses make? But removing both does not help
either. To me it looks like $(LIBXENSTORE) does not serve as a proper
dependency.

Olaf