Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-API] Pre4paration for the Xen Hackathon, March 6-8

Ben,

Mike told me that there are some issues with XCP and Open vSwitch 1.4, where it would make sense to get Nicira and XCP guys into one room. In particular using OpenvSwitch 1.4 with the XCP toolstack on Debian Sid and Linux 3.2. The previous stable OVS release doesn't compile on Linux 3.2, so unless 1.4 works out of the box, we won't have OVS support in XCP toolstack on Ubuntu 12.04. That, plus maybe doing some early proof-of-concept work with Zeus (XCP on Fedora) may also make sense.

Regards
Lars

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-02-14 at 17:51 +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I have made preparations to reach out to further groups in SIlicon
> > valley, and want to ensure that the core people are signed up before I
> > do this.
>
> Would it be helpful to have one of Nicira's Open vSwitch
> developers come? (Is anyone interested in discussing
> networking-related topics?)

Hi Ben,

I think there will some xapi/XCP folks there who I expect would be
interested in talking networking and vswitch in that context.

In the context of xen-unstable and the libx/xl toolstacks there's not
much required for vswitch integration -- just a working hotplug script
mechanism and a suitable script. I actually have patches for the script
growing stale in my queue -- they don't work because of issues with
hotplug script running on shutdown (basically the xenstore info is gone
when the script runs so we can't remove the VIF from the switch). Roger
Pau Monee has a patch series fixing hotplug scripts and once it goes in
I'll resurrect my old patches.

Ian.