Re: [Xen-devel] VGA Passthru HW upgrade

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Pavel MatÄja <pavel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:48:44 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:49:13 +0000

On Wed 25. of January 2012 17:18:28 you wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:26:45AM +0100, Pavel Mateja wrote:
> > > I can't hear sound in DomU. Hmm, to be honest I've heard some broken
> > > pieces,..
> >
> > Problem found:
> > You can't load linux ALSA driver before you pass the sound card to the
> > virtual machine. Since I removed linux kernel driver Windows play sounds
> > just fine.
>
> Thanks for the update. And that's quite obvious reason..
> naturally you can't use a single PCI device in multiple domains at the same
> time.
>
> PCI passthru *dedicates* the device to specific domain, so it can only be
> used in that domain. If dom0 is trying to use it aswell, things will go
> wrong.
>
> -- Pasi

I know that.
I power down USB controller and rescan PCI because of resource_allignment and
I unbind all the devices (USB, VGA, Sound Card) from drivers.
Just sound card didn't work well after this.
Strange thing is the sound was working on Crosshair IV Formula.
I suppose linux driver sets up the card in way Windows can't handle.
Funny thing: sound worked in analog in Battlefield 3 but not plain Win7. No
single beep from SPDIF. One big WTF?
--
Pavel Mateja