Re: [Xen-devel] After switching from "xm" to "xl" toolstack, can't get Guest networking to work.

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 16:19 +0000, Jim Fehlig wrote:
> Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 18:05 +0000, erin.balid@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >> Using the same log redirection you mentioned before
> >>
> >> edit /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge
> >>    #!/bin/bash
> >> +       exec 1>>/tmp/vif-bridge.log
> >> +       exec 2>&1
> >> +       echo "`date`: Running $0 $*"
> >> +       ## TEST ##
> >> +       echo "made it to 001"
> >>
> >>    dir=$(dirname "$0")
> >>    . "$dir/vif-common.sh"
> >>
> >> +       ## TEST ##
> >> +       echo "made it to 002"
> >>

> >>    domu=$(xenstore_read_default "$XENBUS_PATH/domain" "")
> >>    if [ -z "$domu" ]
> >>    then
> >>        log debug "No device details in $XENBUS_PATH, exiting."
> >>

> > So, presumably either the xenstore_read_default is failing or domu is
> > zero length and the script is explicitly bailing here.
> >
> > However I do not see anything like this anywhere in the hotplug script
> > shipped with Xen. Either this is a local modification or something done
> > by your distribution, in which case you should contact them.
> >

> Grrr, that is my patch here
>
> http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-10/msg01790.html
>
> which thankfully was never applied upstream but did make its way into
> openSUSE12.1.  In that thread, Ian suggested having the toolstack write
> the literal tap device name to xenstore and then read it in the vif
> script.  I have this on my todo list with very low priority, but seems I
> should bump it now :-).

There's been a fair bit of discussion recently on changing the way these
scripts are executed, this case is one which we need to remember to
handle too.

In particular Roger Pau Monet has posted a few series recently. You
should be able to find these and the discussion in the archives.

Ian.