Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Still TODO for 4.2?

On 01/06/2012 09:37 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:57:28PM -0600, Wei Huang wrote:
On 01/04/2012 01:43 PM, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:
On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 01:21:46PM -0600, Wei Huang wrote:
Has anybody got anything else? I'm sure I've missed stuff. Are there any
must haves e.g. in the paging/sharing spaces?

- What's the status of Nested Hardware Virtualization?
I remember some email saying Intel vmx-on-vmx has some performance
issues,
and amd svm-on-svm works better..

- Also there's a bunch of VGA passthru related patches,
that I once volunteered to collect/rebase/cleanup/repost myself,
but I still haven't had time for that :(
Since there were quite a lot of interest on this subject, should we
document it in a separate wiki for working combinations (like
hypervisor, dom0, gfx card, driver version, tricks, etc)?

I actually once started writing down that kind of stuff:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthroughTestedAdapters.html

Feel free to contribute :)

There's also:
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenVGAPassthrough
Thanks for sharing. I will contribute my findings as needed. BTW, do you
need my VBIOS loading patches (sent long time ago) for AMD GPU? It is a
Yes! Thought I haven't figured out yet how to extract the AMD GPU BIOS
from the card. I've been able to pass in a Radeon 4870 to an Win 7 HVM
guest and it works nicely.. the first time. After I shut down the guest
it just never works again :-(

This is a known issue which should be addressed for 4.2. I remember several persons reported this problem.

dilemma for several reasons:  it doesn't always work; sometimes it can
screw up main display while passthru 2nd GPUs. Plus the recent Catalyst
driver seems very stable even without these patches. But Wei Wang told
me that he needs them for some of his cards.
-- Pasi