Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] xl and vifname

On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 14:31 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 01:19:18PM +0200, Pasi KÃrkkÃinen wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:57:43PM +0100, Florian Heigl wrote:
> > > xl does not support vifname as of now.
> > > Except for one type of HVM domU, where it does support vifname.
> > >
> > > You might want to communicate to xen-devel that you rely on it and all
> > > that.
>
> Ditto here, being able to give a vif a specific name is required.

I'm a bit confused. xl parses 'vif' names for both HVM and PV guest. I
think you're using QEMU as network backend when you run HVM guest?

Well if backend is netback, the vif name is hardcoded as "vif%d.%d" --
see $KERNEL/drivers/net/xen-netback/interface.c:xenvif_alloc. xl has
nothing to do with this because the creation of vif is automatically
done when FE connects to BE.

A possible solution is that we write user-specified vifname in xenstore
entry then BE retrieve the value and use the value as vif name.

Wei.