Re: [Xen-devel] Stubdom build problem in 4.1.2 but not in xen-unstable

On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 08:29 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > console/xencons_ring.c: In function 'xencons_ring_send_no_notify':
> > console/xencons_ring.c:26:41: error: inlining failed in call to
> > 'xencons_interface': call is unlikely and code size would grow
> > [-Werror=inline]
> > console/xencons_ring.c:38:18: error: called from here [-Werror=inline]
> > cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
> >
> > Although I can build xen-unstable without any problems on the same
> > machine. I've been trying to find the patch that solved this on
> > unstable, but so far I haven't found it. Anyone know which patch fixed
> > it? I would like to have it backported to xen-4.1.
>
> It may well be that there is no such changeset, but the compiler just
> decides to evaluate the likelihoods differently. I'm assuming that the
> build problem would go away by removing -Winline from
> extras/mini-os/minios.mk:DEF_CFLAGS (which is questionable in
> conjunction with the -Werror forced there too - a more reasonably
> approach would seem to be -Winline -Wno-error=inline, apparently
> available since gcc 4.2.x).

Although in this specific case (and likely in many cases) the use of
inline on xencons_interface seems unnecessary -- lets just leave it up
to the compiler.

I thought "inline" was just a hint so it seems odd that gcc would error
out.

Ian.