Re: [Xen-devel] a ton of kernel issues

On 13.12.2011 18:18, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

what glitches should one expect with 3.0+, and having the choice,
would it be better to go with 3.1 or even 3.2?

Right now I know about two of them:
When you set up memory for virtual machine using xenballon, value in
dom0 differ from value in domU. The issue is that -xen kernels 'hide'
some memory in 'used' memory, and pv-ops just reducing TotalMem to value
without that memory. Practically that means if you set up memory for
domain to 2GiB client will saw only 1.95GiB and so on.

The second issue is lack of support of 'pre-inflated balloon', means you
can not set up memory-static-max to 2GiB, target to 1GiB and do 'memory
grow' from 1 G to 2 G latter without VM reboot. -xen kernels allow this
(up to memory-static-max limit).
Is all of this with 'xm' or with 'xl' tools? What happens when you 'grow'
the memory from 1G to 2G? Are you using the hotplug memory balloon or
the older one?
This is xcp (with shutdowned squeezed, it not a problem), so we using direct calls to xc (domain_set_maxkb), but I can repeat this with xl (which one and only one available in XCP), with same results. If I create VM with static-max 2GiB, dynamic-max 1GiB, boot it, then:

1) with PV_ops I can go lower than 1GiB, but never any higher than 1GiB
2) with -xen kernels I can go upper to 2GiB.

If I compile kernel with xenballoon hotplug option enabled, after some (very small) memory growth (within preallocated memory?) after future attempts I getting this message:

[1935380.223401] System RAM resource 18000000 - 27ffffff cannot be added
[1935380.223414] xen_balloon: reserve_additional_memory: add_memory() failed: -17

(tested with vanilla 3.0, 3.1 and some RCs of 3.2)