Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.x / Linux 3.x (dom0 and HVM domU) and NIC handling

--On 2 December 2011 16:40:48 +0000 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

AFAIK changing xen_platform_pci=0|1 will switch rather more than just
the NIC. It will switch your disk too, instantly causing your previously
happily booting OS to fail to boot as the root device name changes.

We recommend you use "root=LABEL=foo" rather than "root=/dev/blah" for
this reason. Fortunately most distros use that scheme by default these
days.

Yes; and /etc/fstab. UUID= works too.

FWIW my experience is that various built-for-cloud type distros don't use
that scheme, mainly because they use grub1 which IIRC does not support
this, and building images in a non-root environment that have grub1
in is rather easier than grub2. So, for instance, all the vm-builder
stuff in debian/ubuntu used grub1 and did not work this way.

However, my point was that xen_platform_pci does not only change
whether your net driver is emulated or PVHVM, but also whether your
disk, and indeed everything else is emulated or PVHVM.

--
Alex Bligh