Re: Is: Xen 4.1.1, xend, HVM, 3.1 kernel; Was:Re: [Xen-devel] xen 4.2 unstable; HVM; 2.6.39.3; HD/Network card error

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 11:09:11AM +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> > > Thanks for pointing this out: I enabled vkbd in upstream qemu but I
> > > forgot to do the same in qemu-xen so as a result you would get failures
> > > of this kind.
> >
> > Oh boy. Seems that there are a couple of issues here. It might be that the
> > timeout I had experienced was _only_ related to this and the other were
> > red-herrings.
> >
> > You might want to make sure M A Young and Stefan Bader are CC-ed on your
> > Xen 4.1.1
> > patch so they can pull it in.
>
> Actually I have just realized that the vkbd feature couldn't possibly
> have been backported to xen 4.1.1. In fact I didn't even add any vkbd
> devices for HVM guests in XL in xen-unstable yet.
> Of course this was to avoid situations like this one.
>
> So my guess is that when you use "vfb" in an HVM guest config file
> you cause xend to create a vkbd device that is without backend.
> A PV on HVM guest would try to connect to it but it wouldn't get any
> response back so it would timeout.
>
> The solution to this problem is to avoid using vfb in the config file. I
> strongly hope that the config file you showed us before is not generated
> by libvirt somehow. If it is we need to file a bug against libvirt.

And sure enough, if I modify the xm file libvirt creates to be:

[root@phenom ~]# diff /tmp/b.autogenerated /tmp/b
8c8
< boot = "c"
---
> boot = "dc"
20c20,21
< vfb = [ "type=vnc,vncunused=1" ]
---
> #vfb = [ "type=vnc,vncunused=1,keymap=en-us" ]
> vnc=1

It bootes right up. Is this a new behavior with xend? I would think
not - it just seems that the 'vfb' for HVM guests worked in the past -
as Windows boots just fine? And I think the accelerated drivers
for Windows take advantage of that?