Re: [Xen-devel] xen_emul_unplug on xen 4.1, HVM guest 2.6.38

On 27.10.2011 16:25, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011, Stefan Bader wrote:

>>> Why are you passing xen_emul_unplug=unnecessary?
>>> The idea is that if you pass that option you have to use the emulated
>>> path to access your disk unless you esplicitely add an xvd disk to your
>>> config.
>>> (and force the blkfront to get loaded but that is some other patches missing
>>> In the normal case, if you don't specify xen_emul_unplug, you are going
>>> to get xvda for your hda disk.
>>> Then if you use LABEL or UUID in your root= argument, you don't need to
>>> change any configuration to make it work.
>>
>> Because of the above I have to specify the xen_emul_unplug to get *any*
>> device.
>
> Why?
> If you do *not* specify xen_emul_unplug, you should get /dev/xvda
> (provided you have blkfront available and hda in your disk config line).

Ah! Sorry, yes. I think I remember now how my confusion started. While trying to
find the lost interrupt problem for the network devices I had two of them
configured (8139cp and e1000) and during those tests there was no way I was able
to get any xvd device. But that was because for some reason with both NICs the
pci device would fail to get an IRQ, so xenbus was never started.

Removing the second NIC made the pci device work, but then with allowing unplug,
there was still some problem with the pv nic not working. So I probably ended up
with the unnecessary, and when the disk finally worked when defined as xvda, and
I was already too confused by other things to realize that that segment only
applies for the unecessary case. :/