FW: [Xen-devel] test structure missing files

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Windows Live <johneed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:36:14 +0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:37:14 -0700

I gather this should go to the devel alias preferably since I can't undo sending tho the dev

From: johneed@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] test structure missing files
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 05:58:18 +0800

> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] test structure missing files
> From: Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx
> To: johneed@xxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:38:06 +0100
>

> The right solution to this problem would be to add the correct -I<path>
> to the relevant gcc invocation (perhaps via CFLAGS or similar). Messing
> with the actual included filename will only end up breaking something
> else.
>
> Unfortunately you don't describe what version of Xen you are using, what
> patches you have applied. what commands you are running or what you are
> actually trying to achieve. Based on the above and below descriptions of
> the sorts of things you have tried I rather suspect that your attempts
> to "fix" things have made things worse.
>
> Please read http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/AskingXenDevelQuestions and
> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/ReportingBugs , then revert your local
> changes and report the original error which caused you to go down this
> path.
>
> Ian.
>
> > The next I couldn't fix. The header is simply missing.
> >
> > xen/lowlevel/xl/xl.c:210:25: fatal error: _pyxl_types.h: No such file
> > or

Ian,

While I will read through the link content, it is simple enough to provide the required info.
However I am no neophyte to submitting bugs.
The version is the latest xen-4.1.2  I thought the mention of ebuild would make it clear
that this relates to a gentoo ebuild.
It seems the test has been left as restricted because the test suite has long been broken.
After unpacking the source into the sandbox, the command run was simply make test,
since the target indicated in the Makefile is named test.   That fix was the only one I attempted,
quickly followed by the next which was a stopper.

What is being achieved is the making of the version bump of xen, xen-tools and xen-pvgrub, 4.1.2.
 Having adjusted and repaired a number of bug fixes to xen-4.1.1, I couldn't help but wonder
why the test phase was set restricted.  A test phase ,if present, in a package should be incorporated into the ebuild.

I have added the ebuild, but I don't really think it will supply anything useful.
To make it simpler, there are NO patches applied.  Re-setting the path via -I ofcourse we can do.
Frankly I doubt the 'fix' could have made things worse.  On repeating make test, the header was
found and it progressed a few dozen lines or so further.  The next point is listed above,
the header is simply missing, unless the normal means of the use of find within the source
has failed to reveal its presence.

The original error is clearly enough displayed in the initial description;

In file included from xen/lowlevel/xc/xc.c:23:0:
../../tools/libxc/xc_dom.h:17:31: fatal error: xen/libelf/libelf.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

This output is not influenced by an ebuild, purely from make test in the xen source.

Thanks for viewing it thus far.

Ian Delaney, proxy maintainer for xen, gentoo