Re: [Xen-devel] pci passthrough and live migration

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 03:33:10PM +0800, Tommy wrote:
> Hello, everybody!
>
> I've done some research on Xenlive migration recently.

XenLive? What is that? Oh, is that the CentOS4..

> I've checked the maillist for pci passthrough and live migration, I
> can't figure out the current progress on them.

Did you check the Wiki?

> Does Xen support live migration with pci passthrough? How about that
> with vga passthrough?

You can do it with SR-IOV, but normal PCI passthrough would not work that well.

> If it is supported now, what extra configurations do I need?

It definitly is supported in the kernel.. you need to use 'pci-attach'
command and hardware that can do IOMMU if you want to do it with HVM.

If you want to do with PV, you need to pass 'iommu=soft' on the Linux
command line.

However, before the migration, you _must_ hot-unplug the pci-device - you
can use 'pci-detach' and then on the other end do 'pci-attach'.

I am not sure if the tools do this automatically but they might.

> If not, could anyone give some ideas on what is the main difficulties
> for it?
>
> At last, does anyone have some documents about this area?

Just search for SR-IOV and Xen.