Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Partially revert xen-unstable c/s 23071:a3466b005017

At 17:31 +0100 on 25 Oct (1319563891), Ian Campbell wrote:
> AIUI when you link an ocaml library it actually bakes in the literal
> options which you gave into the result, in order that it can use them
> again when you subsequently link an application against that library.
> i.e. if you link with -lfoo then a literal "-lfoo" is stored in the
> library and reused by the ocaml linker when it invokes gcc to link the
> final application
>
> Likewise if you use e.g.
> "/home/ianc/devel/xen/tools/ocaml/libs/xc/../../../libxc/libxenctrl.so"
> then that will also be baked verbatim into the ocaml library.

That would be pretty unfriendly of it.  Could the problem be solved by
just making sure the in-tree library paths are before any system ones?
Actually, it seems like the original problem could be solved that way,
so I must be missing some wrinkle of it.

> I don't see how this can ever be made to work without changing the ocaml
> linker, you very much need to specify libraries differently when linking
> users which are in tree vs. out of tree and short of teaching ocaml
> about that distinction I don't know what we can do.

sed? :)

Tim.