Re: [Xen-devel] Help with the migration to XEN-4.1 please

On 17 October 2011 15:26, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm afraid we'll need more info on the current state of your system,
> per: http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/ReportingBugs
>
> The qemu log in particular seems likely to be interesting.
Thanks, here we go:

PREMISE: I've solved the problem during the log file collection for
the bug report
submission. So, it is not due to a bug.

what happened: the domU (Gentoo or Debian) doesn't start becouse of
the following error:
# xl create /mnt/dati/xen/vmstore/gentoo-10.0/gentoo-10.0.x86-64.cfg -c
Parsing config file /mnt/dati/xen/vmstore/gentoo-10.0/gentoo-10.0.x86-64.cfg
xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
libxl: error: libxl_device.c:476:libxl__wait_for_device_model Device
Model not ready
xl: fatal error: libxl_create.c:535, rc=-1: libxl__confirm_device_model_startup

when: when I was trying to start a domU.

what I was expecting: the domU should start showing the boot messages without
any error.

OS: Gentoo Linux arch x86_64, Linux Kernel 3.0.6 (gentoo-sources)
app-emulation/xen: v. 4.1.1-r2
app-emulation/xen-tools: v. 4.1.1-r5 USE Flags: hvm and pygrub

/var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log: http://pastebin.com/4ZLmh64T

The problem was here. My fault not reading this log.
/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-gentoo-10.0-x86_64.log:
libxl: cannot execute /usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm: No such file or directory

OK, qemu-dm was not present. It is strange.
And this is why I didn't think that qemu-dm was not present, because I was
certain it was right there, since I've used it.
Maybe some upgrade removed it.
Now I've recompiled the xen-tools package with the "qemu" USE flag active and
the binary is present now.

The Linux domUs start without any problem.

Thank you so much for giving me the input to read how to submit a bug report,
since I've solved the problem by myself. I hope this would be useful for other
people.

--
Flavio