[Xen-devel] updating xl monitor process via xenstore

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 17:25:39 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 08:29:09 -0700

Currently the xl monitor process does not receive updates made by the
various xl commands.
For example 'xl mem-max' updates the guests d->max_pages but neither
"memory/static-max" nor the monitor process gets notified of such a
change.

Shouldn't each xl command which tweaks the guests runtime state also
propagate that change to xenstore and the monitor process? There are no
watches in xl other than the guest shutdown and cd eject.

I implemented this in my xenpaging patch. If the config option to start
xenpaging was missing in the config file, its possible to start paging
later. The xl monitoring process has a watch, which will start xenpaging
when xl mem-FOO updates that value.

After a guest reboot (and maybe during migration) the changes made with
xl <somecommand> will remain. Right now the values from the config file
are used.

Olaf