[Xen-devel] Re: Re: mapping problems in xenpaging

I have a proposal. I'd like to hear from the list what they think.

- 1. change p2m lock to a read/write lock
- 2. Make lookups (gfn_to_mfn_* family) take a read lock. All current
callers of p2m_lock will become write lockers.
- 3. Change the gfn_to_mfn_* family to get_page on the mfn obtained,
while holding the read lock.
- 4. Have all lookup callers put_page on the obtained mfn, once done.

Rationale: rwlock will prevent races between lookups and async p2m
modifications by paging, sharing, or feature X. The lookup routine
will be protected from races and able to atomically get_page on the
obtained mfn. The lookup caller will be able to work on this mfn
knowing it won't disappear underneath (as in the case currently
brought forward by Zhen)

I'm somewhat wary of having all callers required to put_page, but I
don't think it's a big deal because it's perfectly reasonable.

I'm more wary that turning p2m locking into read/write will result in
code deadlocking itself: taking a read lock first and a write lock
later. Possibly the current rwlock implementation could be improved to
keep a cpumask of read-lockers, and provide an atomic "promote from
read to write" atomic operation (something along the lines of wait
until you're the only reader in the cpumask, and then cmpxchg(lock,
-1, WRITE_BIAS))

Hope that made sense. Thoughts?

Andres