Re: [Xen-devel] Xen document day (Oct 12 or 26)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:13 AM, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Xen document day (Oct 12 or
> 26)"):
>> [ docs todo list ]
>> Who wants to do what? I created a sign up sheet:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj5ukWh4htwMdEFLVWpjRmx3VXdETDExNlByamd4Rmc&hl=en_US
>>
>> in case folks want to get an idea of who is doing what and not
>> step on each toes.
>
> Daniel, I see you have put yourself down for some things to do with
> "PDF manual".  I'm not sure exactly what you mean.  Do you mean the
> user manual or the internals ("interface.tex") ?
>
> I think that both of these TeX documents really need to be abolished.
> They're too hard to maintain so they have rotted; even if we were to
> fix that they wouldn't stay up to date.

I was meaning the interface document. My current work involves
interacting with almost all parts of that document, so giving C
examples was very easy for me and I thought it would be very helpful
for new developers in the future. There are not many resources for new
developers and Xen has a big entry barrier due to its size and
complexity.

For example there is no official guide on how to build Xen on a new
system, and it took me several days to have a working system. When
developing code, in my case most of the needed documentation came from
The Definitive Guide to Xen Hypervisor from PrenticeHall Press. But
its becoming outdated now, sadly. And in some few cases it is very
general and lack much needed detail. I do understand that Xen is huge
and making a easy guide for everything is impractical.

Let me know how I can help, I really do want to help.

--