RE: [Xen-devel] xen: memory initialization/balloon fixes (#3)

Hi David (and Konrad) --

Don't know if you are looking at this or not (or if your patchset
was intended to fix this problem or not).  Looking into Part B
of the problem, it appears that in balloon_init() the initial
value of balloon_stats.current_pages may be set incorrectly.
I'm finding that (for a PV domain), both nr_pages and max_pfn
match mem=, but totalram_pages is substantially less.
Current_pages should never be higher than the actual number
of pages of RAM seen by the kernel, should it?

By changing max_pfn to totalram_pages in the initialization of
balloon_stats.current_pages in balloon_init(), my problem goes
away... almost.  With that fix, setting the balloon target to NkB
results in totalram_pages (as seen from "head -1 /proc/meminfo")
going to (N+6092)kB.  The value 6092 appears to be fixed
regardless of mem= and the fact that the result is off by
6092kB is annoying but, since it is higher rather than lower
and it is fixed, it is not nearly as dangerous IMHO.

Since I'm not as sure of the RAM-ifications (pun intended) of
this change, I'd appreciate any comments you might have.

Also, this doesn't fix the large difference between MEM(K)
reported by the domain in xentop (which matches mem=) and
totalram_pages but, though also annoying, that's not such
a big problem IMHO.  I'm guessing this may be space taken
for PV pagetables or something like that, though the amount
of RAM that "disappears" on a small-RAM guest (e.g. mem=128)
is very high (e.g. ~18MB).  But for my purposes (selfballooning),
this doesn't matter (much) so I don't plan to pursue this
right now.

Thanks for any feedback!
Dan

P.S. I also haven't looked at the HVM code in balloon_init.