Re: [Xen-devel] read mac in vif-bridge

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 13:12 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, Farshid Abediny wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > yes it is,
> > and also i am using solusvm (solusvm.com)
> > can you guide me how can i find mac ?
>
> Please keep Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in cc list.
>
> Please post the output from your systems.
> 'ip a' and 'head /sys/class/net/*/address ' from dom0 and from the domU.

The mac address of a vifX.Y device in dom0 is almost always
fe:ff:ff:ff:ff. This is the largest valid MAC address and is chosen
because the bridge will take on the lowest MAC of all it's ports under
some circumstances so using fe:..... ensures it is never the MAC of a
VIF.

Presumably the original poster wants the MAC of the ethX device within
the guest?

/etc/xen/scripts/vif-nat has an example of how to do this:

# grep mac /etc/xen/scripts/vif*
/etc/xen/scripts/vif-nat:  mac=$(xenstore_read "$XENBUS_PATH/mac")

Ian.