[Xen-devel] xen 4.1.2* dhcp issue/bug when installing HVM domU domains (CentOS 6, unbuntu 11.04 server). Debian works fine.

Hello,

As there are quite a lot of involved details I would use links to keep better overview of the problem.

The problem is that CentOS (tested with 6.0) and ubuntu (tested with 11.04 server) *can't get* an IP address during the installation of HVMs. I had the same problem with NetBSD 5.1 however didn't repeat this test yesterday again. I have tested with "model=e1000" and "model=rtl8139" (s. the HVM config file below)
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/hvm-centos1Gbit.born2b3.net.cfg

Debian's squeeze and wheezy images *don't have this issue* and are getting an IP address (dhpc) during the installation and booting.

The following text describes the test with CentOS 6.0 and involves only it's logfiles or kernel output.
During the installation CentOS was not able to get an IP address (dhcp).
After booting from LVM-drive "lspci" listed the correct PCI device:
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)

There was NO network configuration .. even for dhcp (in ifcfg-eth0).
After setting it manually "service network restart" hang a while after like "Determining of information for eth0 .. " and gave "failed" back. There were three dhcp-Discover requests on eth0 in dom0 but no responce for requests from CentOS HVM.

tcpdump -i eth0 -vvv -s 1500 '((port 67 or port 68) and (udp[8:1] = 0x1))'

I made the same test with "ubuntu 11.04 server" as HVM .. with the same "failed" message. After I have installed this ubuntu iso image on bare metal (another HP DL385g7) and didn't run in such troubles. The installation has got an IP address (dhcp) and after boot there was also an IP address for eth0.

How can I trace the dhcp install issue? Below are some details and traces:

HVM config file:
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/hvm-centos1Gbit.born2b3.net.cfg

Details about the test server / xen installation (dom0):
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/dom0_details.txt
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/debian-live-xen/config-3.0.1

Trace details (for CentOS domU):
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/grub.conf_CentOS_kernel-debug-output-on
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/centos-kernel-output.txt
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/config-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64

As I don't like to give up I have set a static IP for eth0 in ifcfg-eth0 and restarted network service. Now CentOS domU has got an IP address and "route" showed the default gateway however it is only possible to ping dom0 (and not default gateway). Probably I am missing here something else.
Some details:
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/paste/xen-centos-issues/ip-issue-centos-hvm.txt

For tests I have used xen 4.1.2* debian live image (kernel 3.0.1 final with some xen settings) booting dom0 from an USB stick (s. details below).
http://www.it-infrastrukturen.com/fileadmin/linux/debian-live-xen/README.xen-live

Thank you in advance for your any hints.

regards, Mark

--
ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx