RE: [Xen-devel] what happens when a PoD page is touched?

I'm almost absolutely positive. What you are describing happens during
crash dumps and I allow for a small number of such errors (although not
enough for ballooned domains probably), but the hibernation file is
compressed so pages are never actually written directly, only the
compression buffers. I imagine that the delay is while it sweeps the
ballooned out area - the hibernate progress never appears to increases
during this time because 3GB of 0's most likely compresses remarkably
well and there is nothing to write to disk

James