[Xen-devel] MULTI_mmu_update, HYPERVISOR_mmu_update and pte entry

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: chrisbenninger <chrisbenninger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:41:43 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:43:07 -0700

Hi, I am working on being able to determine which process owns a PTE being changed during each MMU update in 64-bit paravirtualized mode. I have a couple questions here.

1. When a linux DomU wants to make an update to a PTE, it calls HYPERVISOR_mmu_update? In my case it appears to be calling MULTI_mmu_update mostly. Are these two functions the only primary ways a VM will ask for an MMU update?

2. The mmu_update struct that comes along with a MMU update has a unint64_t ptr  which is a machine address to the PTE being changed. Is there any way to use this machine address and determine the pte_t or page from within a DomU?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Chris Benninger