Re: [Xen-devel] License problems

Hello,

Bastian Blank, le Sat 30 Apr 2011 15:54:22 +0200, a écrit :
> mini-os
> =======
> mini-os consists of parts with a MIT-style license, parts with GPL v2
> and parts with a 4-clause BSD:
> | extras/mini-os/include/lib.h: BSD (4 clause)
> | extras/mini-os/include/lib.h: BSD (4 clause)
> | extras/mini-os/lib/printf.c: BSD (4 clause)
> | extras/mini-os/lib/math.c: BSD (4 clause)
>
> The 4-clause BSD license is considered incompatible with the GPL[1].

> [1]:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses#4-clause_license_.28original_.22BSD_License.22.29

This refers to http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html for the actual
issues, but I don't see which part says how it is incompatible with GPL.

That being said, this same page says that freebsd dropped the
advertising clause from their own code, so I guess we can simply update
to a newer version. Concerning include/lib.h, almost everything inside
#ifdef HAVE_LIBC is mine, and I'm happy to drop the advertising clause
on that part of the code, the rest inside HAVE_LIBC is very minor and
probably doesn't pose IP issues. What is outside HAVE_LIBC can probably
be fetched from freebsd without the advertising clause.

Samuel