RE: [Xen-devel] Re: system freeze when processor.ko is loaded

> wrote:
> > I think restore only the lower 32bit TSC is good enough, why do we
> need to touch upper 32 bit TSC?
>
> You just can't: A wrmsr to this MSR always updates the full 64-bits,
> just that on some CPUs this update implies the upper 32 bits getting
> zeroed.
You are right, just can't only write lower 32 bit without updating 32 bit since
TSC is always 64 bits:(
So we have to give up the deep C state for those old processors since we still
need to maintain TSC all the time for SMP support.
The solution should go with your patch: re-validate the processor boot with "
X86_FEATURE_TSC_RELIABLE" to see upper 32 bit TSC MSR is writeable at
init_xen_time or not , then decide if allow deep_cstate. This is a better idea
than only allow the processor going to the deep c state with
"x86_FEATURE_CONSTANT_TSC but !X86_FEATURE_NONSTOP_TSC CPUs".

Would you double test patch before pulling in? we need to check both the old
failed processor and the current one. And what's the power idle power impact.