Re: [Xen-devel] What is the official source for the pvops kernel?

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Anthony Wright wrote:
> On 21/03/2011 12:06, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > First of, 2.6.38 is unstable. We haven't completed all the up-porting
> > effort and there are bounds
> > to be bugs. So when you run it, please do report the bugs you are seeing.
> >
> > For right now there are two git trees. The official vaniall 2.6.38 which
> > can:
> >   - Boot Dom0
> >   - Boot DomU
> >   - Can boot PV and HVM guests with the latest xen-unstable.hg tree and the
> >     latest QEMU (which has built-in backend drivers).
> Are you saying I can use the standard 2.6.38 build as a Xen Dom0 kernel?
> If not, could you explain this a little more.

Yes, but as you can see from the list above, it is missing some
features...

> > The 2.6.38 in my
> > tree(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git) has
> > the things mentioned before, and then:
> >   - Can be used with Xen 4.0 as it has now three backends: pciback,
> > netback, blkback.
> >   - Can be be booted with Xorg (radeon and nouveau) if the card is PCIe.
> >   - Has gntalloc allowing domain-to-domain pages to be shared.
> >   - Lots of bug-fixes.
> >   - And infrastructure add-ons (backend, P2M, M2P).
> >
> > In short, it has all of the patches that just went in 2.6.39-rc0 and then
> > some
> > more. For the details look on LKML for '[GIT PULL]' from me.
> >
> > So if you want the "stable" one use the 2.6.32.32 that Jeremy just released.
> I really wanted stable and tried the latest 2.6.32.XX from two weeks ago
> but on every machine I've tried it, I got a kernel panic in xen_set_pte.
> I wasn't sure what the root cause was (I upgraded from 3.X to 4.X Xen at
> the same time) so I tried 2.6.38-rc7 to see if it was Xen or the kernel
> and no longer got the panic, so continued with that kernel version.
>
> I was under the impression that 2.6.38 would be a stable version, but
> not it appears not. Is there a version later than 2.6.32 that I could
> use a stable?

It is stable as PV or PV on HVM guest kernel, it is not stable yet as
dom0 kernel.
If you want a dom0 kernel newer than 2.6.32 you can try Konrad's
next-2.6.39-rc0, obviously not stable but your best bet.