Re: [Xen-devel] keeping track of Intel vmcs

  • To: Mukesh Rathor <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir.xen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:11:32 +0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 01:12:11 -0700

On 16/03/2011 02:58, "Mukesh Rathor" <mukesh.rathor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I always wonder about intel vmcs info tracking when i have to look at
> it. Following data structs are used to keep track of it:
>
> static DEFINE_PER_CPU(struct foreign_vmcs, foreign_vmcs)

Used to track if a CPU is currently running on non-current vcpu's vmcs. Only
used by dom0 and stubdoms really right now. But plausibly a HVM VCPU could
do this to another HVM VCPU in future. The logic is there for that right
now.

> v->arch.hvm_vmx.active_cpu;
> v->arch.hvm_vmx.active_list;

These are actually used, in cpu offline, for one thing (in the case of the
per-cpu vmcs list). Did you actually read the code?

> static DEFINE_PER_CPU(struct vmcs_struct *, current_vmcs);

It is not true that current==v <=> current_vmcs==v's vmcs. Again, read the
code.

There are a few bits of state here it's true but they are used pretty much
entirely and straightforwardly in vmcs.c. You're not going to get much
simplification without making things slower and/or *less* obvious and/or
introducing subtle bugs. Leave alone.

 -- Keir