Re: [Xen-devel] Merging xen/dom0/backend/blktap2 ..

On Mon, 2011-03-14 at 08:29 -0400, Thomas Goetz wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 1:39 PM, xen-devel-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > Message: 6
> > Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:24:35 -0500
> > From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Merging xen/dom0/backend/blktap2  ..
> > To: Daniel Stodden <daniel.stodden@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Cc: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,      Jeremy Fitzhardinge
> >     <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>,      "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
> >     <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >> Newer upstream. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. It's certainly not a common
> >> operation, I was just suprised how much garbage is involved.
> >
> > There is another party that is interested in doing this too, so it might
> > be a good idea to compare ideas. Let me ping them to see where they are.
> >
> > But putting aside the blktap2 driver - what about that ugly #ifdef
> > CONFIG_XEN
> > piece of code that went in the generic code. Is that gone?
> >
> > I would think that the first path would be to post patches that introduce
> > the required infrastructure. For that thought you might want to wait when
> > the merge window opens and Linus starts pulling Stefano's and my tree. At
> > that point
> > a lot of the infrastructure backends should be in. Or if you like, you can
> > take a merge of my #linux-next and Stefano's #linux-next and use that as a
> > base.
> >
> > I've also up-ported blkback to 2.6.38 - look in devel/xen-blkback-v1 to
> > see what I needed to do use the M2P/P2M override mechanism.
> >

> Konrad may be referring to me.

> I'm working on merging blktap2 into his stable/next-2.6.38 tree.

I got that working fine. Presently rather looking into blkback on top of
that. Want a branch to pull from? It's not for konrad though before we
some decision has been made regarding the merging pain.

> I have Dom0 loopback working and have started on the foreign pages case.

> I have a PV linux guest coming up reading it's partition table and
> filesystem, then crashing.

> I've done this by putting the VM_FORIEGN bit back in. I plan to replace that
> with something more suitable to PVOPs once it is up and working.

VM_FOREIGN isn't needed. Blktap2 in its current state doesn't make use
of it.

What's your take on the conversation above? Did you try reverting the
stray stuff or think it's preferable to just rebuild that that branch?

Cheers,
Daniel