Re: [Xen-devel] Could some help to explain code under /xen/arch/x86/hvm

  • To: tinnycloud <tinnycloud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:28:41 +0000
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 02:29:30 -0800

As the name suggests, it contains code related to hardware-assisted
virtualizaton (HVM).  hvm/vmx/* have to do specifically with Intel's
HVM tecnology, and hvm/svm/* have to do with AMD's HVM technology.
Overall activities:
* Dealing with virtualizing privileged instructions (pagetables, CR3,
LDTs IDTs, traps, interrupts, &c)
* Serving as an interface to pagetable functionality, either using HAP
(hardware-assisted paging) or shadow pagetables
* Dealing with device IO: PIO and MMIO.  Most of these are passed back
to qemu, but some are handled in the hypervisor.
* Implementing in-hypervisor devices

The instruction emulation routines are abstracted such that they can
be shared between shadow pagetable code and MMIO/PIO.

Hopefully that gives you an idea as you explore on your own. :-)

 -George