Re: [Xen-devel] Memory Sharing on HVM guests

  • To: Lakshitha Harshan <harshan.dll@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jui-Hao Chiang <juihaochiang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:04:49 -0500
  • Cc: MaoXiaoyun <tinnycloud@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Deegan <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:05:46 -0800

Hi, Harshan:

> I recommend working on the release candidate for 4.1.0 (4.1.0-rc5,
> http://hg.uk.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg/log/22929) where page sharing
> is in much better shape.  MaoXiaoyun and Jui-Hao Chiang have been
> working on it recently, and I hope will continue to do so after the
> 4.1.0 release.

You can first go through the mailing list by searching the email
address of me and Xiaoyun.

As Tim said, the current mem_sharing code has race condition on p2m
type with p2m code. From Xiaoyun's testing result, the shared memory
pages can be grabbed/invalidated by others especially during guest
reboot. To solve the problem, we are digging into the p2m code (Tim
would probably have more time on this after the 4.1 release)

I have some scribble on my google document
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=16cK1JtXhhyNkGHtV_0XTkFnM2nkVxSP144EjozioC6w#h.y4a96-augwr7

If you like, send email and we can also discuss the details about what
we have done so far.

Bests,
Jui-Hao