Re: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable on OL6 (RHEL6 clone) problems

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Dan Magenheimer
<dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The only thing worse for users than making a change like this and
>> > failing to adequately document it would be to make a change and then
>> > document it with a set of inconsistent and incompatible
>> recommendations.
>
> Well, there IS one thing worse, and that's documenting the
> new way WRONG.  And that's what the current draft is.
> The examples inconsistently use "br0" and "xenbr0".
> All need to be one or the other.  While that may be obvious
> to all of you networking alpha-geeks (humor intended), it
> was not obvious to me... I assumed there was some Xen
> magic that turned one into the other!
>
> Further, I *think* xenbr0 is required, not br0.  Not sure,
> but it worked for me as soon as I switched everything to
> xenbr0.  If this is true, the libvirt wiki that Todd pointed
> to is wrong for Xen also.
>
> Finally, since John's post dropped the cc list and I'm not
> sure everyone reads every xen-devel message, I'm repeating
> that John found that my problem that started all this, namely
> seeing this message many times:
>
> /sys/class/net/br0/bridge: No such file or directory
>
> is due to an old bridge package shipped with RHEL6 (and
> clones such as OL6).  John's post is here and I can confirm
> that I updated to the newer RPM and the messages went away.
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-02/msg00725.html
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> P.S. Thanks very much to everyone for contributions to the
> migration wiki... I'm not trying to be critical at all, just
> trying to provide corrections and debug one of the sources of
> my frustration that led to my on-list tirade.

Thanks for pointing things out Dan. I think it is smarter to go with
xenbr0 consistently since that is what RHEL5 had.

I think I have now fixed the items that you pointed out.

Let us know if you find anything else.

Thanks,
Todd