RE: [Xen-devel] Xen hypervisor failed to startup when booting CPUs

>>> On 11.02.11 at 15:03, "Lv, Hui" <hui.lv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jan
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> I tried the lasted unstable version 4.1.2. Although the reporting messages
> were different from c/s 21380, but it produced the issue at the same place
> when booting CPUs.( In this configurations, I set x2apic=0.)
>     (XEN) HVM: Hardware Assisted Paging detected.
>         (XEN) Not responding.
>         (XEN) Failed to bring up CPU 3 (error -5)
> After this message, the system hang and there was no other outputting
> anymore.
> I don't know what "error -5" mean? Is it related to APIC? How can I

-5 == -EIO (being returned from do_boot_cpu() in case of no
response from the remote CPU).

> indentify this issue?(Can I open the xen debug mode to produce more log
> messages?)

Passing "cpuinfo" may give some additional information, as may
passing "apic_verbosity=debug".

Comparing the boot log with a native kernel's on the same machine
may also be helpful.

Some of the ACPI output also looks at least questionable - there
are X2APIC entries (all disabled) for all APIC IDs that were already
listed with LAPIC table entries. And the LAPIC_NMI entry has a
bogus ACPI ID. Is it certain that the firmware of the system is sane?

Beyond that, your engineers are likely in a better position to debug
this than anyone on the list is...

Jan