RE: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable on OL6 (RHEL6 clone) problems

> > I have to ask... this is progress?
>
> Yes. We consider integrating with the distro's standard configuration
> mechanisms/utilities/tools in a way which is consistent with each
> distro's own documentation, instead of Xen rolling its own and blowing
> away any network configuration the system administrator has performed,
> to be progress.

Hi Ian --

While I agree with your good intentions, I think what happened is
that you broke something that was working fine for some subset of
users/developers (RH/Fedora0-based) in order to unbreak something
for another subset (Debian-based).

In the Xen upstream development community, that may be a fine
tradeoff because of the high sysadmin knowledge and the high
percentage of developers using a "bleeding edge" distro.

I suspect that it will be much more of a problem for a released
Xen where a much higher percentage of people installing Xen
are less savvy and prefer stable distros.

> > <flame on>
> > Um, never mind, waste of breath
> > <flame off>
>
> If you have constructive comments to make, as opposed to vague
> allusions
> to not liking some change or other and snide comments, we would be
> happy
> to hear them.

My comment (and even if you consider it snide or non-constructive,
I'd appreciate it if you would seriously consider it):

I think we need to make every effort to make Xen as drop-dead
easy to install and use as possible for as many developers and
users as possible, NOT a series of test questions on the
renew-my-alpha-geek-merit-badge exam.

Thanks,
Dan