[Xen-devel] Re: xenstore index reset in xb_init_comms breaks domU kdump

On Wed, Jan 26, Keir Fraser wrote:

> I think it is needed for save/restore. It may not be needed during boot
> though. Your safest (lowest impact) fix would be to skip the reset when
> booting a crash kernel. A kernel knows it is a crash kernel, I believe?

There is is is_kdump_kernel(), which relies on an unexported variable.
However, the kdump tool in SLES11 passes 'reset_devices' in cmdline. And
this variable is exported and used in a few drivers to do extra hardware
reset. My patch adds a if (!reset_devices) before the assignment.

reset_devices was added in commit
7e96287ddc4f42081e18248b6167041c0908004c and appeared in 2.6.19. Its not
yet part of linux-2.6.18-xen.hg, it should be easy to backport.

I will post my SLES11 SP1 version of the kdump patch shortly.

Olaf