Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.0.1 "xc_map_foreign_batch: mmap failed: Cannot allocate memory"

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Jan Beulich wrote:
> wrote:

> >> Okay, well I'm not sure what limit qemu-dm is hitting then. Mapping 3.25G
> >> of
> >> guest memory will only require a few megabytes of pagetables for the qemu
> >> process in dom0. Perhaps there is a ulimit or something set on the qemu
> >> process?
> >>
> >> If we can work out and detect this limit, perhaps 64-bit qemu-dm could have
> >> a mapping cache similar to 32-bit qemu-dm, limited to some fraction of the
> >> detected mapping limit. And/or, on mapping failure, we could reclaim
> >> resources by simply zapping the existing cached mappings. Seems there's a
> >> few options. I don't really maintain qemu-dm myself -- you might get some
> >> help from Ian Jackson, Stefano, or Anthony Perard if you need more advice.
> >
> > The mapcache size limit should be 64GB on a 64bit qemu-dm.
> > Any interesting error messages in the qemu logs?
>
> Despite knowing next to nothing about qemu, I'm not certain the
> mapcache alone matters here: One would expect this to only
> consume memory for page table construction, but then you
> wouldn't need Dom0 to have more memory than the guest for the
> latter to do heavy I/O. There ought to be something that
> allocates memory in amounts roughly equivalent to what the
> guest has under I/O.

Qemu-dm allocates a bounce buffer for each in flight dma
request, because the aio API used in qemu-dm cannot handle sg lists (it
is probably the main reason to switch to the new qemu).
However the bounce buffer is going to be free'd as soon as the dma
request completes.