Re: [Xen-devel] vscsi 2TB patches

Hello Pasi,

On 01/04/2011 12:06 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Which kernels did you test this against? I assume this should be
this is thoroughly tested against opensuse 2.6.31.x-xen - 2.6.34.7-xen
with paravirtualized domU, xen 4.0.1.

> applied to linux-2.6.18-xen tree.
Huh ??? 2.6.18 ? I remember that was ~5 years ago, cannot imagine even
boot it up
on current hardware. But as long as scsi constant names did not change, the
patch should be compatible, there is nothing kernel-specific.

Btw, I'm still confused, why did the original author exclude so many
scsi commands from passthrough.
> Note that pvops kernels don't have pvscsi drivers yet!
> (Noone ported them yet from Xenlinux kernels).
Hmm, so why does it work at all, did suse people port it secretly ?
Correct me if I'm wrong,
but actually, I cannot imagine the vscsi drivers have anything special
related to pvops,
its just a simple passthrough layer for scsi commands. Or do you mean a
real paravirt
scsi driver implementation is planned ? The current vscsi works actually
pretty well,
I'm getting native performance, much better than using xvd.

There some are other glitches with the vscsi python xend code in current
4.0.x -
scsi devices are not found on "xm create" due to mismatch with lsscsi
interface and
some deprecated python stuff. But I don´t have a clean patch, just
workaround,
maybe I submit another bugreport to suse.
> Also two minor things:
>       - Please send patches made with "diff -u" (unified diffs)
>       - Include Signed-Off-By line
Ok, I'm attaching the changed patch, hope the format is correct now.

I'm also adding the Fujitsu authors to cc: as Jan kindly googled out
somewhere their emails.

regards,

Sam