Re: [Xen-devel] regression from c/s 22071:c5aed2e049bc (ept: Put locks around ept_get_entry) ?

  • To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:59:15 +0000
  • Cc: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christoph Egger <Christoph.Egger@xxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:00:51 -0800

On 16/12/2010 16:42, "Keir Fraser" <keir@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 16/12/2010 16:22, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Probably a similar assumption to what we make in x86_64's pte_write_atomic()
>>> implementation? Possibly pte_{read,write}_atomic() should cast the pte
>>> pointer to volatile, and the EPT reads/writes should be similarly wrapped in
>>> macros which do casting. I'm sure we make various other assumptions about
>>> read/write atomicity in Xen, but aiming to fix them as we find them is maybe
>>> not a bad idea.
>>>
>>> If that sounds good, I can propose a patch?
>>
>> Oh, yes. I didn't even consider there might be more places.
>>
>> What I'm surprised about is you suggesting to take the "volatile"
>> route instead of the barrier() one...
>
> I don't think barrier() would solve the problem at hand. The idiom we are
> dealing with is something like:
>  x = *px;
>  [barrier()]
>  <mess with fields in x>
>  [barrier()]
>  *px = x;
>
> I don't see that adding the bracketed barrier() calls above ensures that the
> access to *px are done in a single atomic instruction. There's nothing
> touching non-local variables between the two barrier()s, so for example the
> code that messes with x could be moved after the second barrier() and then
> the compiler could choose to mess with *px directly if it wishes.

Or in George's EPT changes, I think the issue was getting an atomic snapshot
of some P2M flags (populate-on-demand vs. valid vs. ...). Again, barrier()
would not help since <mess with fields in x> could be moved before the first
barrier(), and again the compiler can then do a number of direct reads on
*px. So, again, the right fix is to make the memory read properly atomic via
use of volatile, and preferably a snippet of inline asm to guarantee we emit
the desired single mov instruction.

 -- Keir