[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Cannot start Xend

Please don't cross post between xen-users/xen-devel.

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 20:58 +0000, Rob Dunkley wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I really could do with any pointers people might have as to the reason
> for this error. The server was working fine but this appeared after a
> reboot. The HTTP part in xend-config.sxp is disabled already. Any advice
> would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Rob
>

> # service xend start
> Starting xend: Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 44, in ?
>      from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
>    File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py", line
> 27, in ?
>      import SrvServer
>    File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvServer.py", line
> 49, in ?
>      from xen.web.httpserver import HttpServer, UnixHttpServer
>    File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/web/httpserver.py", line
> 30, in ?
>      from xen.xend.Args import ArgError
> ValueError: bad marshal data
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 44, in ?
>      from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
>    File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py", line
> 27, in ?
>      import SrvServer
>    File
> "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvServer.py", line
> 49, in ?
>      from xen.web.httpserver import HttpServer, UnixHttpServer
>    File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/web/httpserver.py", line
> 30, in ?
>      from xen.xend.Args import ArgError
> ValueError: bad marshal data

Googling around suggests that this python error is often due to a .pyc
file becoming corrupted.

If you are on a RPM based system you could perhaps try "rpm
-qf /usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/web/httpserver.py*" and see
if that reports any corruption (A 5 in the third column indicates the
md5 sum has changed).

In that case reinstalling the relevant RPM and/or remove httpserver.pyc
(it will be automatically regenerated) ought to help. You may also want
to check your disks for failures and/or report the issue to your distro
(or Xen .rpm provider) in case there is a packaging or python
infrastructure issue.

Ian.