Re: [Xen-devel] fxsave, fnsave, ltr hang for guest OS.

  • To: <alarson@xxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 18:01:38 +0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:06:02 -0800

On 19/11/2010 17:32, "alarson@xxxxxxxx" <alarson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just to report final resolution.  The problem turned out to be that
> the destination of the fnsave was to a page specifying read only
> access and the OS was depending on CR0.WP=0 to permit write access in
> kernel mode.  Xen doesn't allow this configuration unless using HAP
> (Hardware Assisted Paging).

To be precise, we have a go at emulating the instruction, but our emulator
is incomplete. Running a whole OS in CR0.WP=0 mode is pretty much doomed if
running on Xen without HAP. I think there is some supported OS that does do
some small amount of stuff with CR0.WP=0, and we are complete enough to work
in that case.

 -- Keir