Re: [Xen-devel] How EPT translates an X86_32 guest physical address?

On Wed, 2010-11-17 at 11:26 +0000, Chu Rui wrote:
> Okay, in my mind, the hardware has only one work mode, 32bit or 64bit.
> Thus the 32bit guest address will be extended under the 64bit host.
> But what will happen for a 64bit guest under a 32bit host :-)

You appear to be confusing virtual address size, which is 32 or 64 bit
depending on mode, with phsyical address size, which depends on the
particular CPU model etc and not the mode it is running in.

CPUs these days typically support physical address sizes of something
like 44 or 46 bits, even if they are running in 64 bit mode.

Ian.