Re: [Xen-devel] Re: 2.6.37-rc1 mainline domU - BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Sander Eikelenboom
> <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hmmm have you tried do do a lot of I/O with something else as NFS ?
>> That would perhaps pinpoint it to NFS doing something not completely
>> compatible with Xen.
>>
>> I'm not using NFS (I still use file: based guests, and i use glusterfs (fuse
>> based userspace cluster fs) to share diskspace to domU's via ethernet).

> Sander,
> I took a quick look at glusterfs and it uses the same nfs client:
> http://www.gluster.com/community/documentation/index.php/Gluster_3.1:_Manually_Mounting_Volumes_Using_NFS
> I'm assuming that this would cause the same problem on the VM as we're
> seeing with NFS, unless it's really an Xen/dom0 NFS server problem
> that triggering the domU nfs client crash.

> Perhaps the context is different. I'm exporting filesystems to domU
> from dom0 via NFS. Is that how you're using glusterfs, or are you
> using it to host your file backed VM's storage? In the latter, that
> may explain why you're not seeing these problems because you're not
> using the nfs client on domU.

Nope it CAN export volumes as NFS, but that's the non native way.
I don't know what distribution you use, but for debian there are packages
available
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=glusterfs&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
in the backports repository.

And indeed i don't use NFS anywhere. (I have tried, but had configuration and
other problems. So i looked for an alternative.)

--
Sander

>> I tried NFS in the past, but had some troubles setting it up, and even more
>> problems with disconnects.

> What kind of NFS problems? It was working very well for us until this
> problem cropped up.

> -Bruce

>> I haven't seen any "unable to handle page request" problems with my mix of
>> guest kernels, which includes some 2.6.37-rc1 kernels.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Sander
>>

>> Sunday, November 14, 2010, 5:37:59 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> I've tested F14 DomU (kernel
>>> vmlinuz-2.6.37-0.1.rc1.git8.xendom0.fc14.x86_64) as NFS client and Xen
>>> 4.0.1 F14 Dom0 (kernel vmlinuz-2.6.32.25-172.xendom0.fc14.x86_64) as NFS