Re: [Xen-devel] Re: pvops kernel branches - 2.6.36 options, stable/next/etc?

On 11/09/2010 02:26 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 11/09/2010 03:14 AM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
>> On 11/08/2010 10:19 AM, Bruce Edge wrote:
>>
>>> Is there now or will there be a 2.6.36 stable branch, or is the only
>>> option for this version the next-2.6.36 branch?
>>>
>> No.  xen/next-2.6.36 doesn't exist any more, and it never really
>> contained anything useful.  xen/next-2.6.37, however, is closely
>> tracking upstream and I hope will reach functional parity with the
>> 2.6.32-based branches.
>>
> So, you do believe that it's not too late so that mainline 2.6.37 will
> include the backend drivers for HDD? If so, that's great!

No, mainline won't get any device backends until .38 at the earliest -
.37 is closed for anything except bugfixes.  But I'll maintain a .37
based tree with all the extra bits in it for full use.

However, with block backends specifically, we're considering doing away
with a kernel-based backend altogether and deferring it to a usermode
process, so that will be independent of the kernel.