Re: [Xen-devel] baud rate of qemu serial port

  • To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Trolle Selander <trolle.selander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 22:11:15 -0400
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:11:49 -0700

Hi James,

It is rate limited. There is a timer in qemu-dm which runs at a rate decided by the baud rate, and which takes bytes from the virtual FIFO and sends them on to the "back end" device, so it doesn't matter if it's a pty or a physical serial port. It would be pretty easy to change this to allow for theoretically higher speeds, but the result would probably be pretty disappointing; I did experiment a bit with this when I wrote the 16550A patch, and if I remember right, at the time you pretty much maxed out at about ~200kbit. Now, that was a couple of years ago, and the speeds reachable now might be quite a bit higher, due to CPUs having gotten faster, as well as VMEXIT being far "lighter" on newer generation CPUs.

Regards,
Trolle