Re: [Xen-devel] Handle for events?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Srujan D. Kotikela" <ksrujandas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:11:29 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:28:27 -0700

Hi Jeremy,

I was going through the code in mini-os. The hypervisor_callback, which handles all the events, is defined in the x86_64.S file. In xen sources I see xen/arch/x86/x86_64/entry.S with no such callback function.

>From what I read in the Xen Definitive guide, There is a single handler for all events (hypervisor_callback) which in turn should call individual handlers, which are registered before hand, for each event. I have few questions regarding this:

1. Is there a default event handler for Dom0 kernel (like hypervisor_callback in mini-os). If so, what is the function to register event handlers for specific port/channel (I tried searching the code and couldn't find any)?

2. If no default handler exists how are the handlers for xen_console and xen_store events or any other events setup?

3. Is the ./xen/arch/x86/x86_64/entry.S analogous to ./extras/mini-os/arch/x86/x86_64.S? I mean If I have to write event handler, should I edit entry.S?

--
Srujan D. Kotikela

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
 On 09/29/2010 09:34 AM, Srujan D. Kotikela wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> But from what I read I may not get notifications on /dev/xen/evtchn if
> my xen-evtchn module is not functioning. However if it is statically
> compiled it wont be found as a module. I can confirm it's working by
> checking if there are directories in my /proc/xen
>
> correct me if I am wrong.

/proc/xen is irrelevant to xen-evtchn; you would not expect to see any
changes in /proc/xen as a result of xen-evtchn being present or absent.

> I am calling notify() and I am getting a return value 0 but no
> notification mesages in /dev/xen/evtchn

You should look carefully at the existing examples of how to use that
device to see where you're going wrong.