Re: [Xen-devel] xl: pci completion error

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Sergey Tovpeko wrote:
> Hello, list!
>
> xl reports the error on passthrough-ed pci device removing.
>
> do_pci_remove device 01:00.0
> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:448:libxl__wait_for_device_model Device
> Model not ready
> libxl: error: libxl_pci.c:858:do_pci_remove Device Model didn't respond
> in time
> libxl: error: libxl.c:944:libxl_domain_destroy pci shutdown failed for
> domid 1
> libxl: error: libxl.c:896:libxl_destroy_device_model Couldn't find
> device model's pid: No such file or directory
> libxl: error: libxl.c:956:libxl_domain_destroy
> libxl_destroy_device_model failed for 1
> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:307:libxl__devices_destroy
> /local/domain/1/device is empty
>

> It seems that libxl_pci didn't get the 'pci-removed' status from
> qemu-dm. Please, have a look  who should set this status in qemu-dm. As
> for me I added xenstore_record_dm_state("pci-removed");
> after do_pci_del(par);
> in xenstore_process_dm_command_event function.
>
> It fixed up my issue of removing pci devices.

What guest OS are you using?
Currently "pci-removed" is only written in response of an eject command
from the guest OS, that means that if the guest doesn't support pci
hotplug the value won't be written.
If you are using Linux you should make sure that the acpiphp module is
loaded, if you are using Windows, I think the only version that supports
pci hotplug is Windows Server 2008 but I might be wrong.