From: Jan Kiszka [mailto:jan.kiszka@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 10:13 AM
To: Roger Cruz
Cc: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to generate a HW NMI

Am 04.10.2010 15:56, Roger Cruz wrote:
> Jan,
>
> I will try your suggestion of turning off SMIs. I am also interested
in you
> conducting an experiment for me. If you can, please tell your kernel
not to use
> any CPU power saving modes. In Xen I use max_cstate=0 in the bootline.
I have
> found that when I do this, the hangs appear to go away (we had one
customer
> report one since using this work-around, so it is not 100% working).

Will do. My customer reported that he was able to easily crash his i7
notebook by pulling and re-plugging the power cable. I bet all of these
events are trapped by the BIOS via power management SMIs...

BTW, do you see any correlation between crashable boxes and BIOS
vendors? We have no representative numbers yet, just one confirmed
instable notebook that is Phoenix-based, while one AMI-based i7 server
that is rock-stable.

Jan

02:35:00