Re: [Xen-devel] Performance numbers on PV-on-HVM

Hi Stefano,

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Thanks & Regards,
Jagadish

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Jagadish Nadimpalli wrote:
> Did anybody calculate benchmark network performance numbers for PV-on-HVM so that I can compare? The link provided by you
> has some numbers as follows. This don't has the data rate that is transferred via a network interface.
>
> Average Optimal load -j 4 Run (std deviation):
> Elapsed Time 215.307 (10.1294)
> User Time 632.503 (6.4785)
> System Time 115.497 (4.53905)
> Percent CPU 347.333 (15.885)
> Context Switches 43319.7 (2088.39)
>
> Sleeps 48950 (3140.18)

I don't think anyone did so far.

> ??
> ??
> I verified the "xm dmesg" and there is no print of "Extended Page Tables (EPT)". Does this mean that the extended page
> table support is not there? Can I enable this through BIOS option? If it can't be enabled using BIOS option, could you
> please let me know the Intel chipset series which has this support.

I don't think that EPT can be enable/disable via BIOS, probably your
cpu doesn't support it.
The first Intel cpu series to support EPT is Nehalem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_%28microarchitecture%29

all the new desktops and servers sold today should have ept support, you
can check on the intel website to be sure.