Re: [Xen-devel] kexec woes with 32-bit secondary kernel

>>> On 17.09.10 at 18:33, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> While it seems that putting together a patch to address this
>> shouldn't be that difficult, a second question is how we can avoid
>> getting into the same situation again when Linux extends the
>> protocol again.
>
> How is one Linux kernel supposed to safely kexec another, potentially
> different-version, Linux kernel ?  We should use whatever mechanism
> Linux upstream use.

That's not an issue afaict: The trampoline code and the code calling
it live in the same kernel, and hence no compatibility is needed
between kernel versions. In the Xen case, the calling code is Xen's,
while the called code comes from the kernel.

Jan