Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] Xen build - Debian vs Redhat layout patch options

Bruce Edge writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] Xen build - Debian vs Redhat layout
patch options"):
> So using ?= for the above would require that one manually add the
> $PREFIX to whatever SYSCONFIG_DIR they wanted to use.

Yes, you're right.  That's a good reason for using a variable just for
the directory leafname.

> > If we do need a special variable for the leaf dir it should be called
> > something else.  ARCH is for CPU architectures.
>
> What's a good word to differentiate bewteen debian/red hat distros?
>
> DISTRO_TYPE=<debian | redhat>

No, that's not the correct answer.  We should have one variable for
each thing that is controlled.  So for the /etc dir for Xen settings
files in sh syntax, SYSCONFIG_DIR_LEAF set to "default" or
"sysconfig", perhaps.

> That would allow the addition of other distro types as neeeded.

It is better to provide hooks to allow distros we don't know about to
do what they want.

> > This, and all the stuff that implicitly refers to files in
> > /etc/default for host network configuration, is entirely wrong.
> > Debian-derived distros have a different way of setting up networking
> > and the files have a different syntax and semantics, as well as a
> > different location.
>
> I'll need to research this further. If anyone has any heuristics to
> suggest....

Since this is a document, rather than a script, you can simply refer
people to the Debian version.

Debian derivatives use /etc/network/interfaces.  Documentation can be
found in the manpages interfaces(5) and bridge-utils-interfaces(5).
A typical /etc/network/interfaces for Xen looks something like this:

    # The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    # The primary network interface
    auto xenbr0
    iface xenbr0 inet static
        address 192.0.2.145
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.0.2.254
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_stp off

> Again, if I go with DISTRO_TYPE I could define a set of default
> Locations for each DISTRO_TYPE. That would allow std distros to work
> with a master toggle and others to be customized as needed.

A "master toggle" as you call it is generally a bad idea.  Portability
features should be switched individually.

Ian.