Re: [Xen-devel] [GIT PULL] Fix lost interrupt race in Xen event channels

 On 08/27/2010 01:43 PM, Daniel Stodden wrote:

>>> You mean pre-clearing the event?  OK.
>>>
>>> But aren't you still subject to the bug the switch to handle_edge_irq fixed?
>>>
>>> With handle_fasteoi_irq:
>>>
>>> cpu A                       cpu B
>>> get event
>> mask and clear event
> Argh. Right, I guess that's my fault, I was the one who came up with the
> PENDING theory, but indeed I failed to see the event masking bits.
>
> However, please read on.
>
>>> set INPROGRESS
>>> call action
>>>    :
>>>    :
>>> <migrate event channel to B>
>>>    :                        get event
>> Cannot happen, event is masked (i.e. all that would happen is
>> that the event occurrence would be logged evtchn_pending).
>>
>>>    :                        INPROGRESS set? -> EOI, return
>>>    :
>>> action returns
>>> clear INPROGRESS
>>> EOI
>> unmask event, checking for whether the event got re-bound (and
>> doing the unmask through a hypercall if necessary), thus re-raising
>> the event in any case
> Yes. I agree. So let's come up with a new theory. Right now I'm still
> looking at xen/next. Correct me if I'm mistaken:
>
> mask_ack_pirq will:
>  1. chip->mask
>  2. chip->ack
>
> Where chip->ack will:
>  1. move_native_irq
>  2. clear_evtchn.
>
> Now if you look into move_native_irq, it will:
>  1. chip->mask (gratuitous)
>  2. move
>  3. chip->unmask (aiiiiiie).
>
> That explains why edge_irq still fixed the problem.

Good point.  I guess the simplest fix in that case would have been to
use move_masked_irq()...

The current fix is not wrong, so we can leave it as-is upstream for now.

But I think I will try Jan's idea about masking/clearing in the event
upcall then using fasteoi as the handler.